April 23, 2018

Review: "What Nora Knew" by Linda Yellin

Image result for what nora knew
Linda’s story is a laugh a minute, a quip a minute...the humor is like sequence falling out of a jar, scattering and sticking throughout the pages.  Linda’s humor reflects truths, contemplates truths, then turning the next page to an emotional guessing game when the character, Molly, approaches 40, her truth.


Twice this week I've been told I'm analytical...is it the writer in me who questions? Is it the science and medical background in me seeking the truth? is it the teacher, the golfer or the candlestick maker in me...(yes, I've made candle sticks)...it must mean my mind isn't made up at first glance...look for the obvious, and throw it out, except in the case of Molly, Linda Yellin's main character, she doesn't let anyone stand in her way to seeking the truth to her article quests.


Linda's novel is a tease, love is her tease...who’s next in line to be Molly’s next boyfriend?


To the finish line...3a.m.  I do remember the movies, Sleepless In Seattle, When Harry Met Sally, and You’ve Got Mail, all of which are scattered throughout Linda Yellin’s Novel, referring to Nora Ephron as a tribute.  To be honest, I’ve never read a Nora Ephron novel, but I sure loved these movies!


What is love and when and how do you know when you’ve found it?  The funny thing about this is, I’ve written about all of those questions, and finding the answers wasn’t easy...it took a ton of soul searching and analytical excavation...and years...it's probably plastered all over this blog.  But Molly is a romantic, more or less, and seeking that special someone is her up and down quest, except she constantly second guesses herself.


I thoroughly enjoyed this story and especially the humor in Linda’s writing, better than the alternative of crying over spilt boyfriends...I won’t even hint about how it proceeds and ends...that’s your quest to read and guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment